Safety Tips for International Travel
International Travel Safety
Bon Voyage !
It is easier said than done. Meticulous preparation is essential for an International sojourn. There are several safety aspects to be taken care of, before and after you board and leave your homeland.
Preparation When you talk of an International travel, the pre requisite would be the Visa. You need to carefully obtain and submit all relevant documents when you apply for a Visa.
Notice the expiry dates on all the documents you submit (including Passport) when applying for a Visa. Once the Visa is through, the first thing is, to make a checklist of all things one has to carry or ensure.
The checklist has to include Visa, copies of photographs, Travel Insurance, Air tickets, Airlines loyalty card, Cash / Travellers cheques, Credit cards, required Currency, Hotel booking confirmation, Itinerary, City map, Visiting cards, required addresses, Laptop socket adaptor, Mobile charger, toiletries & First aid & Medicines required. Once these have been ensured, one has to know the safety measures to take when on International Travel.
Copies of documents It is always advisable to take a photocopy of all the documents you carry, like Passport, Visa, Travel Insurance, Letter from Customs, etc. Keep one set of these in your possession when you are outside your lodge / room / home. And for some activity, you might want to bring a pair of Used Tennis Racquets for you and your kids to enjoy.
Appropriate Clothing One has to necessarily carry winter wear while travelling to cold countries and light cotton clothes if travelling to hotter places. One has to be also aware of the dress code, if any, prevailing in the destination country in order not to offend the law. For instance, women have to wear a Abaya (long robe covering the hands, head and neck, leaving only a portion of the face visible).
Know the rules of the land Be aware of restrictions for smoking, alcohol & drug possession & consumption, dress code, time restrictions for movement, etc.
Other important safety measures one has to adopt are :
– Never roam about late in the night, in cities you don’t know. Always carry your proof of identity when you outside.
– Be alert when you are alone, walking or travelling.
– Do not carry excess cash than is really essential.
– Do take extra care of your Passports, Air tickets, Cash, Credit cards, Wallets & other documents.
– Be cautious when you befriend strangers.
– Avoid talking about controversial issues (political, religious or social) with strangers.
– Keep your belongings under lock & key when you are away from your lodging place.
– Be alert and cautious of tricksters, especially when you are shopping or travelling.
– It is advisable to have the address and contact of the Embassy / Consulate office of your homeland, in the city.
– Keep your contact list of that particular city and that of your home town handy, with you.
The catch word is Never take a chance’ when you are travelling to an unknown land and be alert always. The safety measures you undertake when you travel abroad cannot be undermined as one has to be extra cautious at all times and in all aspects.